Saturday, June 13, 2009

Customs Fun

I arrived in Singapore at 3:20 am this morning. The 24 + hours of traveling definitely took its toll. My dad picked me up at the airport, and I finally saw our Singapore home for the first time. It's nice. My first impressions here -- 1) this city-state is so tiny and awesome 2) people are really strict.

Well at least my customs official was. Leave it up to me to be lectured by a customs official. In all my years of traveling, putting a general area or street name on the immigration form has been enough. But not this time. The official insisted I write my exact address and detailed contact information, and when I told her I only knew my street name, she launched into a full scale lecture.

Customs Official: How will we find you in an emergency if you have no address? How can you travel without knowing your contact information?
Me: I don't know.
Customs Official: Write down a phone number.
Me: I don't have one.
Customs Official: This is a serious matter. We take things very seriously here. We need to know how we can find you.
Me: Uh... ok...Will e-mail do?
Customs Official: Piercing glare and hands back my form so I can write down my e-mail.

Thank god it was 3 am. She probably didn't want to deal with me. Mental note for future: Don't forget to write down exact address. Or just get in a different line at the airport and avoid the mean looking customs officials.

Anywho, I start work next next week. I'll take this week to explore and make some exciting plans for the summer. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. I usually try to go in the line with the male customs official, cause usually you can smile your way through :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sylvia, you would...

    Get some rest and have fun exploring the city! Can't wait to hear about it.

    P.S. Be wary of Singaporean guys. Most that I've met so far are creepers / weirdos. Just ask Sylvia...

    ReplyDelete